August 2016 (2)
May 2016 (1)
March 2016 (1)
February 2016 (1)
January 2016 (1)
December 2015 (1)
October 2015 (1)
August 2015 (1)
June 2015 (1)
May 2015 (1)
February 2015 (1)
January 2015 (1)
November 2014 (2)
October 2014 (2)
September 2014 (6)
August 2014 (1)
July 2014 (5)
June 2014 (1)
March 2014 (3)
February 2014 (2)
January 2014 (1)
November 2013 (3)
October 2013 (1)
August 2013 (3)
July 2013 (4)
May 2013 (4)
April 2013 (3)
March 2013 (2)
February 2013 (3)
January 2013 (4)
December 2012 (6)
November 2012 (9)
October 2012 (10)
September 2012 (9)
August 2012 (14)
July 2012 (17)
June 2012 (14)
May 2012 (13)
April 2012 (18)
March 2012 (14)
February 2012 (10)
January 2012 (12)
December 2011 (8)
November 2011 (11)
October 2011 (10)
September 2011 (13)
August 2011 (10)
July 2011 (6)
June 2011 (12)
May 2011 (8)
April 2011 (8)
March 2011 (9)
February 2011 (6)
January 2011 (9)
December 2010 (8)
November 2010 (17)
October 2010 (8)
September 2010 (12)
August 2010 (15)
July 2010 (10)
June 2010 (15)
May 2010 (9)
April 2010 (11)
March 2010 (13)
February 2010 (10)
January 2010 (14)
December 2009 (14)
November 2009 (10)
October 2009 (17)
September 2009 (20)
August 2009 (18)
July 2009 (22)
June 2009 (12)
Answering Questions
Avista Utilities
Clark Fork
Community Service
Customer Service
Energy Assistance
Energy Efficiency
Environment Facts
Hydro power
Infrastructure upgrades
Lake Coeur d'Alene
Natural Gas
Power Outages
Reliability Facts
Renewable Energy
Renewable Facts
Smart Grid
Spokane River

Answering your questions: Gas prices and the wholesale market   


For the past few days I’ve been talking to customers on e-mail about our requested natural gas decrease in Oregon. As you might expect, just about everyone I’ve talked to has been appreciative of the decrease request. (Who wouldn’t be happy about paying less, right?)

But a few people have asked a question about why the rate reduction we requested in Oregon, and those we’ve already requested in Washington and Idaho, don’t mirror the current price of natural gas on the wholesale market. It’s a great question and there are several reasons.

The lowest cost on a trading market can never be predicted in advance, so companies hedge their buys to round out the lowest price in an attempt to smooth out the volatility of the wholesale markets. We purchase gas periodically throughout the year with price being a primary consideration. We buy enough gas this way to meet about two-thirds of what our customers will use throughout the winter. The remaining gas is purchased as it is needed to meet your needs. If prices are favorable, we may also purchase gas at a fixed price into the future.

This aspect of natural gas is always a bit tricky to understand, and a lot of that comes from people making comparisons to the price you pay for gasoline or diesel fuel for your car. Unlike those fuels, of which the ups and downs are readily apparent when you fill up your car, we set a price for a longer period of time and then make up the difference (up or down) later with the state commissions. During that time we use pricing strategies to minimize volatility. We’re always working to get you the most fair and reasonable price for your energy dollar.

So while you don’t immediately see reductions to your natural gas prices when the wholesale market costs fall, you’re also protected from the sudden spikes as well. Remember two years ago when the price of gasoline was nearly $5 a gallon? You couldn’t help but buy it if you needed it. Our buying strategies help us avoid buying at high prices, unless it’s really necessary.

It’s also worth noting that 75 percent of your natural gas bill is the cost of the gas itself. We don’t mark up the cost of gas. You pay what we pay. It’s a pass through cost. The remaining 25 percent of your bill covers our cost of providing service through our distribution system.

If you have any additional questions about natural gas, drop us a line in the comment section. There is also a lot of information over on our Conversation page.
Posted by  System Account  on  9/3/2009
0  Comments  | 0  Links to this post | Bookmark this post with:          


Add a Comment

We encourage comments on this blog, but this is a family friendly conversation, so please check out our discussion guidelines so we’re all on the same page. By submitting a comment, you agree to these terms and our Privacy Policy.  

Customers must have a My Account and be logged in to comment.
Login to My Account | Create My Account


We're hopeful that this space will encourage thought provoking and informative community discussions about issues related to our products and services. Currently you must be an Avista customer to participate in the conversation, but stay tuned. In the coming weeks we'll also provide an opportunity for non-customers to participate in this forum.