Avista will pay you for your extra refrigerator or freezer
The Refrigerator Recycling Program allows you to earn $30 and free pick up of the old unit. In addition to the rebate, participants can save as much as $100 a year in additional energy costs. Older refrigerators and freezers, especially those built pre-1995, consume up to four times more energy than new, more efficient models.
Our Residential Refrigerator Recycling Program will take your older freezers and refrigerators away for free. Our program partner, JACO, picks them up and takes them to a specially designed recycling facility where they’ll recycle nearly 95 percent of each, and safely dispose of toxins and the ozone-destroying gases in foam insulation. Unless a refrigerator is disposed of properly, foam and refrigerant products from these old appliances release thousands of tons of ozone-depleting CFC-11 into the atmosphere each year.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Be an Avista electric or combination electric and natural gas customer
- Own the appliance you want to recycle
- Make sure your refrigerator or freezer is in good working condition and is empty at the time of pick up
- See if it was manufactured pre-1995 (1995 or earlier) and is a minimum of 10 cubic feet in size
- Sign up online with our partner, JACO Environmental, or call (877) 577-0510 to schedule a pickup, please be prepared to provide your Avista customer account number
- Limit two units per residential address
Avista also offers participants the opportunity to help those in need. After recycling your older unit, customers can donate their $30 rebate to Project Share. Project Share is a donation based program that provides emergency energy assistance to individuals and families in our region who are struggling due to hardship or trauma. One hundred percent of every dollar donated is forwarded to community action agencies that provide assistance to those in need. Energy assistance is provided without regard to the source of heat. When calling to schedule your refrigerator pick-up please let the customer representative know your desire to donate your rebate to Project Share.
For a free pickup, call 1-877-577-0510.